Mark 5:25-34 (Amplified Bible, Classic Edition)
25 And there was a woman who had had a flow of blood for twelve years,
26 And who had endured much suffering under [the hands of] many physicians and had spent all that she had, and was no better but instead grew worse.
27 She had heard the reports concerning Jesus, and she came up behind Him in the throng and touched His garment,
28 For she kept saying, If I only touch His garments, I shall be restored to health.
29 And immediately her flow of blood was dried up at the source, and [suddenly] she felt in her body that she was healed of her [distressing] ailment.
30 And Jesus, recognizing in Himself that the power proceeding from Him had gone forth, turned around immediately in the crowd and said, Who touched My clothes?
31 And the disciples kept saying to Him, You see the crowd pressing hard around You from all sides, and You ask, Who touched Me?
32 Still He kept looking around to see her who had done it.
33 But the woman, knowing what had been done for her, though alarmed and frightened and trembling, fell down before Him and told Him the whole truth.
34 And He said to her, Daughter, your faith (your trust and confidence in Me, springing from faith in God) has restored you to health. Go in peace and be continually healed and freed from your [distressing bodily] disease.
1. The Power Always In and Around Him Went Out of Him:
- Mark 5:30 in The Passion Translation says, “He felt the power that always surged around Him had passed through Him.”
- The Power was always around Jesus and emanated from Him.
- When the women pressed through the crowd and in faith (trusting and in full confidence) touched the clothes of Jesus, the Power of God was activated, surged from Jesus and she got what she was there to get — her miracle.
- Acts 5:15 TPT — In fact, when people knew Peter was going to walk by, they carried the sick out to the streets and laid them down on cots and mats, knowing the incredible power emanating from him would overshadow them and heal them.
2. The Power and the Glory of God:
- The power of the Most High overshadowed Mary.
- Luke 1:35a TPT — Gabriel answered, “The Spirit of Holiness will fall upon you and almighty God will spread his shadow of power over you in a cloud of glory!”
- The Mount of Transfiguration.
- Matthew 17:1-9 – God’s Power and Glory transforms us
- Mark 9:2-9 – Dramatically changed by God’s Power & Glory
3. The Power Within:
- This power comes to indwell us at the Baptism of the Holy Spirit.
- John 4 — The Well – springing up – potential to become River
- John 7 — The River – flowing out from within – unleased
- The baptism of the Holy Spirit is a must for every believer.
- Acts 1:8 KJV — But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.
- Acts 2:1-4 – Engulfed, filled, equipped and empowered
- Tongues — the language of the Spirit — they were baptized.
- Power — the power of the Spirit — they were filled.
- Power — virtue — dunamis — fire power — a flame for every name.
4. How to Receive the Baptism in the Holy Spirit:
- Hunger and thirst.
- Matthew 5:6 KJV — Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.
- John 7:37-39 KJV — In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink. 38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water. 39 (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)
- Ask and seek.
- Luke 11:9-10 KJV — And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. 10 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.
- Luke 11:11-13 KJV — If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent? 12 Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion? 13 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?
- Waiting — tarrying.
- Acts 1:4 KJV — And, being assembled together with them, commanded them that they should not depart from Jerusalem, but wait for the promise of the Father, which, saith he, ye have heard of me.
- Receive by faith.
- John 20:22 KJV — And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost.
- Act on your faith — speak.
- Acts 2:4 KJV — And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
5. One Baptism; Many Infillings:
- Holy Ghost and Fire.
- Luke 3:16-17 KJV — John answered, saying unto them all, I indeed baptize you with water; but one mightier than I cometh, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to unloose: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire: 17 Whose fan is in his hand, and he will throughly purge his floor, and will gather the wheat into his garner; but the chaff he will burn with fire unquenchable.
- Acts 4:31 – They Prayed – Place was shaken – they were filled – they spake the Word – they were filled with Holy Boldness
- Acts 9:17 – Paul received sight & was filled with the Holy Ghost
- Acts 19:5-6 – Twelve filled as the Holy Ghost came on them.